Welcome to Quantity Surveying and Construction Procurement

Assalamualaikum and dear all,

This blog compliments teaching and learning for courses that I facilitate at the International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM). The contents serve to further 'connect' students to the 'real world' (quantity surveying, construction procurement and others). In trying to provide current information to students, I will be quoting or reproducing works of others and for this I am grateful. I will indicate clearly the source(s). I hope I will not offend anyone; and many will frequent this blog and benefit from its contents.

Thank you and wassalam.

Prof. Sr. Dr. Khairuddin Abdul Rashid

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Abandoned housing projects

Salam and dear all, During question time yesterday (1st December 2009) the YB Minister of Housing & Local Government told Parliament that between 1990 and 30th September 2009 there were 148 abandoned housing projects in Malaysia. The abandoned projects affect 31,824 buyers of 49,913 units of dwellings. According to the minister from the 148 abandoned projects, 12 were revived and are now ready with CF; 49 are currently being revived and the balance 87 projects are awaiting 'new developers'. Almost half of the projects awaiting new developers belong to the low and medium costs categories. A list containing the 87 abandoned projects is available at http://ehome.kpkt.gov.my/shadomx/apps/fms/fmsdownload.cfm?file_uuid=DC4A7684-BF64-4C40-FB29-FF3EB3D4BB77 (copy-paste). In my recent postings, I talked about public sector time and cost overruns and 'sick projects'. The statistics provided by the YB Minister of Housing & Local Government concern housing projects developed by the private sector. One item being consistent here is that it seems time over-run and abandoned projects are a common feature in Malaysia, notwithstanding whether they are in the public sector or private sector. There is a need therefore for us to focus on time and cost overruns and on abandoned projects and develop and implement appropriate strategies on how to combat them. Wassalam.

1 comment:

ProjMan said...

Sir,I agree with your concerns with regard to project time and cost overruns and have posted a suggested strategy to overcome these on my blog at ProjManMeth.blogspot.com I would very much like your comments.
Regards
Phil Palmer (ProjMan)